I am in a really weird position now at work. Recently, we lost many of our senior people and I have had to step up to the plate where before I could kind of get lost in the noise. Because of the loss of people, we have obviously had to hire more. We recently hired someone I'll call G. She seemed nice enough and had some of the background we needed. We designated her as my backup, so she'll be getting familiar with the source code that I work on. Recently she was given a problem to solve. I was totally blown away by how long it was taking her. It got to the point where my boss told me to make sure she was finished by Friday. I offered to help if needed and she got a bit snippy. By Wednesday I was telling my boss she was no where near where she needed to be. I basically sent her the code she needed and we got her done by Friday.
Yesterday, our testers found a problem with what she had done (not the part I helped with). I passed the info along to her. Hard part is, this is blocking something from being shipped to customers. All day long my boss was messaging me about where she was with it. I was peeking at what she was doing and it was apparent she was lost again. He told her if she was floundering or confused at all, she was to call me. She didn't. I gave her until 3pm. I had to call her and tell her how to fix the problem. Ugh!
I feel bad that this may ultimately get her to lose her job. I know it is not my fault that she isn't doing well, but it still makes me feel bad. Even worse, I am overseeing her next project. The next 6 weeks should be fun, eh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment