Thursday, September 06, 2007

He's Got It Under Control

DS J had his first day of kindergarten yesterday. I was a bit misty seeing him off on that bus. I had thought back to him being just an itty bitty baby when we put K off on that bus 5 years ago and how quickly the time went.

He got on the bus and went to his class without issue. He said he knew where he was going. They have the parents meet the kids at the school to do a quick project with them to help them get settled. He entered the classroom, put his stuff in his cubby and found his nametag and sat down. The boy next to him was just awful. The kid wasn't quiet when the teacher asked them to listen, he was constantly touching J and poking at him. At one point he was even rubbing his hands all over J's head. I even tried to talk to the kid because his mom seemed oblivious to it all. After telling him to keep his hands on his own body and not his neighbors, his mom finally said something to him.

As I left the class I whispered to J "If he is bothering you, tell him nicely to stop. If he doesn't, tell the teacher". I reminded him to mind his manners and be a good listener and off we went. He came home all happy, but did mention the "boy who kept touching me".

I reminded him this morning about how to deal with this kid. When he got off the bus, I did the normal how was your day stuff. I finally asked if his table had different people sitting at it and he said no. I then asked about the other boy. J said "I took care of it Mom. When I got to class today, I put my stuff away and sat down. I turned to the boy and told him "I don't want you touching me today. You did that all the time yesterday and I didn't like it at all".

S and I were nearly on the floor laughing. We both held it in and asked what the other boy said. J said the kid just said "ok" and then they both had a good day. I guess I don't need to worry about him, huh?

2 comments:

Aritha said...

ROFL!!!!!

I am Glad he is having a great week at school and took care of that touchy boy.

S.u.s.a.n said...

LMAO

It must be the name. We have a "J" in our neighborhood who is on the same bus as Hayden - he has been as cool as a cucumber since Day 1!

I'm glad he's off to a great start!