Friday, January 05, 2007

Could I Have Gotten Into Trouble?

I am wondering about something and maybe someone knows the answer. Last night, I talked to DH as I was driving home. I was really close to the house, about 10 minutes away as I said goodbye. As I walked into the house 10 minutes later, I hear him say "The ER, OK, I will take him!". I immediately found where he was and asked what was up. He said he was on the phone with the nurse of our ped's office. Apparently N had started breathing fast and was making a weird sound so he called to talk to the nurse. He was still on the phone with her (sounding hysterical) so I grabbed it.

I immediatly told her that he sounded more hoarse than anything. And that although his breathing was a bit on the fast side, he was not "belly breathing" or showing any other signs of distress. I felt that he should be seen by the doc first where they could quickly assess his oxygen levels. I also have a nebulizer, so I could have done a treatment right there. She gets snippy with me and tells me to take him to the ER, she will not make an appointment to see him (even though they were still holding office hours for an hour longer and I could have been there in 15 minutes).

I was livid. I start in on S because he should have just booked the appointment and not freaked out. We have been through this before. We know what to look for. And although I don't have a medical degree, I knew that my baby was at least fine enough to make it to the docs, which by the way is on the way to the hospital.

So, S calls back the office and asks for an appointment. He gets the same nurse who is now YELLING at him!! TAKE YOUR BABY TO THE ER!!!!!

He hangs up and gives me a look. So now I am worried. Could we have gotten in trouble for refusing to take him? I was worried this woman would follow up, find we didn't heed her advice and call social services. So off to the ER I go.

I am met at the door by a man. He takes our name and what the issue is. I tell him our ped's office told us to take our baby IMMEDIATELY to the ER due to breathing difficulties. He tells me to have a seat. 30 minutes later, I am called in to give insurance info. A good 30 minutes after that, I am sent to see the triage nurse. Of course, since arriving, no more weird noises and his breathing had slowed. He was laughing and clapping at all the other totally sick people in the waiting room and flirted with the nurse. His oxygen level was 99, and she said she heard the slightest of weezes when he breathed. I was told we were next to see the doc.

FOUR HOURS after arriving, we got to see a doc. She very nicely told me my baby had a cold. At this point I had been standing, rocking a very tired, 23.5 pound baby for FOUR HOURS. I no longer had any feeling in my left arm. If I could have put N down, I think I would have found the nearest weapon and hurt someone. Mostly, I wanted to hurt S.

So, anyone.....could we have gotten in trouble for not listening to the nurse? Next time I plan on just showing up at the office and demanding they see us. They could have checked his oxygen levels there and we would have been in and out in 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, good question. I think the only way you could get 'in trouble' is if something bad happened to N as a result of not going to the ER. Since you guys are good parents, if he had gotten worse, of course you would have taken him, so it's really a non issue.

I wouldn't fret over it. That nurse sounds a little over the top. Most of the nurses in Peds offices that I've dealt with are usually very conservative.

((hugs)) wasted hours in the ER are never fun!

Anonymous said...

I never really thought about getting in trouble for not listening. I often will listen to what they say but then do what I think is best. I also have our kids seen by our family doc as well as the ped, so if one ever pisses me off, I can go to the other. I had to do that once when Sus has a repeat ear infection and I knew all I needed was the med.

You guys are great parents. I totally agree with Amy in that if things went south, you'd go the ER anyway.

The ER is a germ infested, long waiting PIA, so there is nothing wrong with you prefering to take him to the doc office to have O2 levels checked. I feel like my kids have much more of a chance getting something at the ER.

(((HUGS)))