Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Get the Pepto Ready

This is the big weekend where my family does our big pre-holiday celebration. Day starts out at my house where we take pics in front of my tree, I cook a yummy lunch and then serve dessert. Later in the afternoon, we go over to SILs house where I try not to eat too much, otherwise I end up needing the product mentioned in the title.

So I get a call from SIL last night, wanting to make sure we weren't both making the same thing. Ok, probably a good idea. She tells me she is making S.hrimp S.campi, which sort of makes me cringe. I am a total seafood snob, and will only eat seafood from certain restaurants or fresh seafood purchased from certain markets. This comes from growing up in a place where you could watch the fishing boats unload their catch at the pier. And I know she buys her fish at the local super market which makes me want to puke. I may be weird, but I always view seafood as something not everyone likes, so it wouldn't be a choice for me to make for people unless I really knew they loved it.

No big deal for me, I will just pick at something and not eat. But what am I to do with the kids. Would your kids eat S.hrimp S.campi? Let me know in the comments.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

There is no way my kids would eat that. Plain shrimp yes. Maybe you could suggest a potlot or just bring a dish you know your kids would eat. Good luck

Anonymous said...

My kids probably wouldn't eat the srimp, but love garlic so they'd eat the pasta.

I'm a seafood snob too. I miss fresh seafood. I live in the land of great steaks, but I shake my head when I see a "seafood" restaurant here!

Anonymous said...

Not mine!!! I am allergic to shellfish so I wouldn't either. I would bring something the kids like and explain to sis.

Anonymous said...

Probably not. I usually make them at least try what is on their plate. However, something like scampi, that I know will go over like a lead balloon, I wouldn't. I agree with you about seafood being one of those dishes that should be served only if you know that your guests love it and are going to eat it.

Anonymous said...

Caroline would, but she LOVES seafood; however, we are seafood snobs here as well, since we can buy shrimp as it is unloaded off the trawler and since my brothers and stepdad are avid fishermen (aside from the fact that if you buy shrimp from the grocery store, you just don't know where it came from -- just google the dangers of imported shrimp -- scary!), at any rate if it didn't taste like fresh seafood, Caroline would probably not eat it. What can I say? She has really good taste.

Anonymous said...

My kids WOULD not eat it, Plain Shrimp yes but scampi no. You would think she would concentrate on a child friendly dish.

Anonymous said...

Honestly - IF Natalie would eat it, I would let her. But that child wouldn't come within 3 feet of it. So I'm not a good judge on this one.

Anonymous said...

My kids would try it. They are pretty adventurous. They both ADORE Fried Calamari - and they know what it is.

I also make different curries and spicy things and have since they were little, thus them being adventurous. That said, Sam would probably be fine with it. Kit is now on the "I only like PB&J" phase, so he would try it and then spit it out with a big "P-YUCK."

If I were making something for a family event with kids, I would probably go with something much more kids friendly. Or if I really, really wanted to make the scampi, I would also make an alternative for the children. I mean, I'd be making pasta anyway, so why not cook some more off? For the kids, there could be a choice of sauce, butter, grated cheese, and shredded cheese. That way even the fussiest kiddos can easily be accomadated.

Anonymous said...

Elaina would definitely eat the shrimp scampi. Conor would eat the pasta, he doesn't like shrimp under any circumstances.